Volunteer to Make a Difference
Volunteering is the rent we pay for being on this planet... and the good feelings that come with it stay with us forever! "Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a great deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give." (Eleanor Roosevelt)
The JAA offers a myriad of experiences for individuals who wish to “give back” to the community. Working with seniors is an honor, a pleasure, and a true chance to receive even more than one gives.
We are user friendly, creative, and we work with each individual to match his or her skills, desire, and time frame for our many volunteer opportunities.
Volunteers can be escorts to and from programs; they can be aides in an activity; friendly visitors; bingo callers; artists and musicians. Adults and children are welcome; so are civic groups, social action fraternities and sororities. In addition, we welcome pets who are trained therapy animals.
Visit us once without making a commitment… and you will soon be drawn to our wonderful population of residents.
Here are just a few ways you can make a difference:
- Provide companionship.
- Read to residents.
- Take residents outdoors to enjoy our gardens.
- Help with activities — art therapy, discussion groups, Sing-Alongs, picnics, crafts, exercise groups, trips, and more.
- Give manicures, write letters.
- Help with special events.
- Escort residents to activities, or therapy sessions.
- Visit and translate for residents speaking Russian and Yiddish.
- Sew walker bags or knit afghans.
- Play card games, Scrabble, chess, Mah Jongg, and poker.
- Participate in our pet therapy program.
- Participate in intergenerational activities.
- Welcome/orient new residents and their families to our residences.
- Help office staff: acknowledge donations, assemble mailings, answer phones, assist with clerical duties.
- Pitch in on holidays or during snow emergencies.
- Adopt a grandparent.
Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact Volunteer Coordinator Sharyn Rubin at 412-521-1171 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.